How to export/save report data to a file
In Advanced Web Ranking, you have two options for exporting to a file, the data you see in the UI:
- Quick reports - This option enables you to quickly save to a file the data you see in the UI, with the exact selections and filters applied. This is a one time action. In order to re-create the export at a different time, you will need to go back to the UI, make your desired settings and generate the Quick Report
- Printable reports - This feature enables you to save your data to a file, according to pre-defined report templates. Once you have defined a report template with the desired selections and filters, you will be able to use it and generate that report whenever you wish. Printable report generation can be done manually or automatically, by schedule.
How to quickly generate reports in AWR
The quick report button is designed to help you transpose fast the interactive reports you have created into printable reports to use and send to your clients.
This means that the quick report generated from this button will contain all the data displayed in the current interactive report and it will keep the same structure and filtering options. All you are required to specify is the file format of the report that will be saved (PDF, HTML, etc.).
You can also define the quick report you have created as a new template for your printable reports or send it directly to your clients by email, using the small buttons next to the report extension you chose for the new report.
Where are my quick reports saved?
By default all types of reports are saved in AWR User Data folder, on your computer. The destination folder can be changed:
- Globally, for all projects from Settings -> Reports -> Common Reports Settings
- Individually, for each project from Project -> Settings -> Preferences -> "Reports Location" section.
How to create a printable report
As opposed to the Interactive Reports, the Printable Reports are a set of reports that are made for printing, for sending as attachments to emails or for uploading them to your website via FTP. They trade interactivity for the ability to create and specify customizable reports.
When you create a new project, the application automatically creates one report template for each of the available ranking reports. You can access these reports from the Reports menu.
By default, these reports contain information about all the search engines and keywords in your project. If you need different search engines and keywords combinations or reports containing specific link and analytics data, there are two options you can choose from:
- Edit an existing report - select it from the top drop-down list and edit each report settings section, according to your preferences
- Create a new report from scratch - select New Report from the top drop-down list.
How to create a Complete SEO Report
You can combine rankings, analytics and links data in a complete SEO report that provides your customers with an interactive experience.
To do this, go to the Reports left menu and click on New report to create a Complete SEO Report template in the application. Once the template is created, click on Output and layout options to choose the website, competitors, keywords and search engines you are interested in.
Also, you can choose the ranking, analytics and links metrics that will be displayed in the Dashboard chart, from the Dashboard metrics grid.
Here you also need to choose the location where you want the SEO report to be generated. To do this, click on the Save to local file section and select the desired location. Now just click on the Generate button to issue the report.
The SEO report generated will be in HTML format and provide you with the ability to browse through the multiple tabs it contains.
How to customize the content of my printable reports
How to select the columns to be displayed in printable reports
To select which columns to be displayed in your printable reports, just go to the Reports menu and select the report template you are interested in. In the Output and layout options section -> Report layout grid click on the left Select columns button.
From the opened dialog box you are able to select the columns you desire and the order they will appear in your reports.
How to set the report's title to show the date when it was generated
Go to the Reports menu and select the report you are interested in. From Report Settings section, right mouse click on the title field and choose "Date and Time" from the available options. This will add to your report's title details about the time and date of the generation.
How to add a chart to my report
To also add a chart to your created report, go to Reports -> select the desired report -> Chart Options section and enable the Insert chart checkbox. This option is available for all types of reports, except the Complete SEO Report.
You can also create reports which will show only the chart, without any additional information, using the Show only charts in report checkbox. By checking this option, the Show legend option will become inactive. The report legend contains details about all icons that appear throughout the report.
How to use Filters and Conditions for printable reports
In Advanced Web Ranking, you can set the report to be generated only if a set of conditions is met. In the Filters and Conditions settings section of each report, you can add or edit the filters that the report generation depends on:
- Filters - You can use the Advanced Web Ranking filters to condition the report generation. Just select one of the default filters from the list, define a new, customized filter or combine two or more filters to achieve the set of conditions you need.
- Refine inputs - You can set a certain filter to be applied only to a segment of your project data. This means that you can use this button to select the keywords and websites you wish to apply the filter to. For each filter you set you may refine the inputs it affects.
How to define a custom filter for my reports
Advanced Web Ranking comes with many default filters that cover most of the changes that can occur in the search engine rankings. However, there comes a time when the default filters are just not enough.
The custom filters feature allows you to create your own filter, made of a combination of existing (default filters) and user created conditions that involve the current position, the previous position, the best position, the page, the page rank, or any other entity that may be affected by a change.
You can use a custom filter just like any existing filter both in the printable report generation process and for interactive reports within the UI.
To define a new filter, there are two methods available:
- While in the Rankings menu, click the Filters button at the top and select from the drop-down list "Define". Once created, a custom filter will appear in all filter drop down within the application, with a special icon to indicate that it is a custom filter.
- Go to Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> Filter Manager menu. If no custom filters have been previously created, the New filter dialog will automatically open.
How to generate multiple reports after an update
If you wish to generate a set of reports each time you update a project, with the fresh gathered data, you need to create the list of reports from Settings -> Project settings -> Preferences menu, the "Update Settings" section.
How to set my reports to be generated automatically
You can set Advanced Web Ranking to automatically generate your desired reports as often as you need. To schedule only the generation of specific reports in AWR, you need to click the Schedule icon on the left side menu, click the New button and select "Schedule report generation". This is useful in case you wish to update your project every day but generate the reports only once a week.
However, in order for your new reports to contain fresher data than the previously generated reports, you also need to perform a project update. AWR can be scheduled to perform automatically both the update of your projects and the generation of the desired reports.
For that, you need to schedule a project update and specify at the reports you wish to be generated once the update is completed. You can either choose to:
- Only the reports selected below - you will need to make this selection every time you schedule an update
- Only the reports set to generate in update - will be generated all the reports for which you have enabled the "Generate on update" option. You can adjust that setting for each report from the Reports menu, by selecting the desired report. The option appears at the top of the screen, right below the report name.
If you wish to see for a report all scheduled tasks that include its creation, you can do that from the Reports menu, while the desired report is selected, in the Scheduled tasks section.
How to setup my reports to be automatically sent via email
You can set each report to be automatically sent via email to your clients, whenever it is generated. This setting can be made for each report from the Reports menu, the Send report by Email section:
- Send Report by Email. When this option is checked, you are allowed to send the report to one or more email addresses. Read more about this in the Email Settings section.
- Notify on FTP upload. When checked, the application will send an email to the chosen addresses to confirm that the report was uploaded by FTP.
- Send report as zip attachment. This option allows you to send the report as zip attachment. That will make the transfer via email much easier.
- Ask for confirmation. Specifies whether the user needs to confirm the sending of the report by email before it is sent.
- Email Address. In this section you can type directly your customer's email addresses, or you can add them from the Address Book, from the Add button. Emails typed here will be automatically stored in the Address Book.
- Address book. Opens the Address Book dialog where you can manage your contacts.
- Show / Hide Bcc. This option gives you action to the Bcc section, where you can add other email addresses as Blind carbon copies to receive the report.
- Email Settings. In this section you may customize the subject and the text for the emails sent to your clients, with this report.
How to set my reports to be automatically uploaded to FTP
You can set each report to be automatically uploaded to a FTP server, whenever it is generated. This setting can be made for each report from the Reports menu, the Upload report to FTP server section:
- Upload report to FTP server. Allows you to upload the report to your website using FTP. Just press the Add button and you will be able to chose one of your configured FTP servers.
- Create separate folders for each type, year and month. This option creates a folder for each report type and then breaks them into separate folders for each year and month.
- Upload report as zip file. When checked, it specifies that the report should be archived before uploading it by FTP.
How to connect AWR Desktop to AWR Cloud
Advanced Web Ranking enables you to synchronize your projects between AWR Desktop and AWR Cloud.
Once you have created an AWR Cloud account, you can start uploading your existing AWR Desktop projects along with historical ranking data. For that, run AWR Desktop, click the AWR Cloud icon at the top of the window and sign in into your AWR Cloud account.
Once the login has been successfully completed, using the same AWR Cloud button at the top of the application window you will be able to access the Upload projects option and select the projects you wish to upload to the Cloud. Please note that the ranking data upload might take a few minutes to complete.
While in AWR Desktop, go to Projects menu to check which projects have been uploaded to your AWR Cloud account. All projects marked with a colored AWR Cloud icon have been uploaded and will be further updated online, daily or weekly according to the settings you made.
Every time a new update has been made online, the new ranking data will be automatically imported onto your desktop when AWR Desktop is launched.
If you wish to switch back to updating a project using AWR Desktop, you simply need to go to Project Manager while in AWR Desktop and disable the corresponding AWR Cloud icon for that project. This will simply interrupt synchronization for that project, without removing the project from your AWR Cloud account. You can resume synchronization and upload the new gathered data at any time.
How to upload reports to AWR Cloud
Advanced Web Ranking enables you to upload to your AWR Cloud account and share online with your clients any report generated with AWR Desktop.
While in AWR Desktop, go to the Reports menu and select the report you wish to share online. In the Upload report to the AWR Cloud section of the selected report, enable the Upload to cloud option and Select the AWR Cloud user (your client) with whom you wish to share the report.
If the desired user does not exist in your list, you need to send him an invitation, using the plus icon next to the Select button.
Now, all there is left to do is to generate and approve the report. Your clients will receive an email notification that a new report is available online.
Clients will be able to access their reports on the Advanced Web Ranking website, or directly on your own domain when you enable the white label mode of the web-based application.
Where are my printable reports saved?
By default all types of reports are saved in AWR User Data folder, on your computer. The destination folder can be changed:
- Globally, for all projects from Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> Common Reports Settings
- Per project, from Settings -> Project settings -> Preferences -> "Reports Location" section
- Per report, from Reports -> select the desired report -> Save to local file section. Make sure to also disable the "Use default location (project settings)" option.
How to customize reports using XSL
Advanced Web Rankingenables you to create HTML reports from an XML file using a stylesheet language called XSL (eXtensible Stylesheet Language). To customize the report, all you need to do is change the XSL transformation file. Advanced Web Ranking will then generate an HTML report with your custom layout using the XSL file you provided.
All printable HTML reports can take advantage of this feature. The layout of the header and footer for each report can also be modified so that the whole HTML report will look exactly as you want. You can do that:
- Globally, for multiple HTML reports - Go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> HTML Reports and click on the Customize button to select the reports you wish to customize and the respective XSL transformation file.
- Individually, for specific HTML reports - To edit particular reports you need to go to the Reports menu and select the desired report. Within the General settings section, you will need to make sure that the report format is set to HTML and select from the CSS style drop-down list "XSLT Transformation". The Customize XSLT button will appear and you will be able to select the desired XSL transformation file.
The default transformation files can be found in the "transforms" folder, within the folder where Advanced Web Ranking is installed on your computer.
For more information about XSL transformations please see the following articles:
How to adjust the page layout for my printable reports
To set the layout options for the printable reports generated with Advanced Web Ranking, go to the Settings -> Reports -> Report Page Settings menu:
- Report Type - Choose the report template for which you wish to setup the page for.
- Size - You can use a standard paper size (A4, A3, Letter and so on) or a custom one. In the second case you have to enter the width and the height of the paper source (in inches).
- Orientation - You can set a Portrait or a Landscape page orientation for your report.
- PDF report page margins - You can set the size of the PDF report page margins (left, right, top and bottom). The size is measured in inches and can range from 0 to 5 inches. The default size for all margins is 0.5 inches.
How to adjust the settings for my text reports
For specific Text reports options, you need to go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> Text Reports menu:
- Font Settings - You can choose to have in your report file as many characters per inch as you want (10 -20 characters per inch) and the number of text lines (6 or 10 lines per inch).
- Send report in the message body (not in attachment) - When this option is enabled, your reports sent via email will be added in the email body, as plain text. Else, the reports will be sent as email attachments.
- Choose File Encoding - You can choose your preferred file encoding from a wide list.
- Add BOM - You can enable this option if you wish to add BOM character code.
How to adjust the settings for my CSV reports
For specific CSV reports options, you need to go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> CSV Reports menu:
- Separator character - You can choose the separator character between tab, comma, semicolon or you can define your own separator character.
- Choose file encoding - Select the character encoding of your report files from the drop down list.
- Add BOM - You can enable this option if you wish to add BOM character code.
- CSV file extension - Type the desired extension for your CSV reports.
- Insert CSV values into quotes - By default this option is enabled. If you wish to see your report values without quotes, you simply need to disable it.
How to adjust the settings for my HTML reports
For specific HTML reports options, you need to go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> HTML Reports menu:
- Select the global CSS style - You can customize the way your HTML report looks like, using different CSS styles. These styles can be selected from a set of predefined styles or can be user defined styles.
- Select the reports you wish to customize using an XSL transformation - You can customize the way your HTML report's layout will look like, using XML and XSLT transformation files. You can customize each one of your report types.
- Choose file encoding - You can select the character encoding of your report files from the drop down list.
- Maximum number of columns in Overview - If your Overview report contains a large number of search engines, you can choose to distribute them in rows by enabling the "Maximum number of columns in Overview" option. This option will help you avoid crowded search engine rows and thus allows a better understanding of the displayed data.
- Maximum number of columns in Visibility - If your Visibility report contains a large number of items, you can choose to distribute them in rows by enabling the "Maximum number of columns in Visibility" option. This option will help you avoid crowded rows and thus allows a better understanding of the displayed data.
- Maximum number of columns in Multiple Dates report - If your project has data stored over a large period of time, you can choose to limit the number of columns displayed in the Multiple Dates report by enabling this option and reduce the data shown in the report.
- Maximum number of columns in Competition - Checking this option will allow you to control the number of columns displayed in the Competition reports and set a maximum limit to it.
- Maximum number of columns in Links - By checking this option you can control the number of columns displayed in the Links reports and set a maximum limit to it.
- Insert table of contents in HTML reports - This option inserts into your HTML reports a Quick Jump list that will enable you to access more quickly any section of the report you have created.
- Get report images from URL - You can save the images from the reports to a local folder from the Browse... button. This folder can then be easily uploaded to your website. To access the images from your website, just check the "Get images from URL" option and type the URL in the text box. From now on, all the HTML reports that you send will take the images from the specified URL.
- Chart size - You can customize the size of the charts included in your HTML reports and set their width and height (in pixels).
How to adjust the settings for my PDF reports
For specific PDF reports options, you need to go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> PDF Reports menu:
- Display column name in Overview - You can choose to have the column names in Overview reports shown in three ways: Horizontal, Vertical, Vertical if more than number
- Font - You have two options to change the PDF font from your report:
- If you select the "Use default PDF font" option, all the PDF reports will use the font listed in parenthesis.
- If you uncheck the "Use default PDF font" option you can choose any Font and Encoding you want.
- Write keywords from right to left - You need to enable this option for right to left writing to be applied to your PDF reports.
- Asian Fonts - Even if your system is not setup to use the Asian locale, you can select an Asian font so that the PDF report shows the Unicode characters correctly. Just deselect the "Use default PDF font" check box, and select the "Asian fonts" option, which will allow you to select an Asian font from the drop-down list.
- Show Bookmarks on preview - This option allows you to enable\disable the displaying of the Bookmarks section in your PDF reports.
- Maximum data columns in Overview PDF report - This option allows you to control the number of columns displayed in the Overview reports and set a maximum limit to it.
- Maximum data columns in Visibility PDF report - If your Visibility report contains a large number of items, you can choose to distribute them in rows by enabling the "Maximum number of columns in Visibility" option. This option will help you avoid crowded rows and thus allows a better understanding of the displayed data.
- Maximum data columns in Competition PDF report - This option gives you the possibility to control the number of columns displayed in the Competition reports by setting a maximum limit to it.
- Maximum data columns in Links PDF report - With this option you can control the number of columns displayed in the Links reports and set a maximum limit to it.
- Show page number in PDF report - This option allows you to paginate your report's pages.
- Select alignment type for the page number - After checking the above option, you can choose the number on your pages to be aligned Left, Center or Right.
How to adjust the settings for my Excel reports
For specific Excel reports options, you need to go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> Excel Reports menu:
- Add border for cells when alternate rows is disabled - To add borders to your reports, you need to enable this option and make sure to disable the "Alternate row background color in Printable Reports" option from Settings -> Global settings -> Reports -> Common Reports Settings.
- Select font name and size - You can choose the font name from a list. The size of the font can also be selected from a range of 1 to 30 points.
- Display columns title vertically in Overview XLS report - This option enables you to set the text orientation of the report column headers, vertically.
How to adjust the settings for my XML reports
The Settings -> Global Settings -> Reports -> XML Reports menu enables you to select the file encoding that will be used for your XML reports and the schema they will be generated by (DTD or XSD).
How to customize the HTML reports using CSS
Advanced Web Ranking allows you to choose a style that you want to be applied on the HTML reports:
- Globally, for all created HTML reports - The Customize CSS dialog from the Settings menu -> Global settings -> Reports -> HTML reports enables you to choose a style that you want to be applied to all HTML reports.
These styles are read from the AWR User Data/styles folder. There are several predefined styles (Classic, Business, Web and Modern) and you can also add your own styles by pressing the + button (Add Style button), or by manually adding the .css style in the styles folder.
If you wish to add the style customstyle.css then you need to copy this file in the AWR User Data/styles/customstyle/ folder.
You can choose to have the selected style embedded in the HTML file, or to store it outside the generated HTML report. By default, the styles are embedded in the HTML report. Another way to link to a style is to include a style stored on a web server in your HTML report.
- Individually, for each report - For that, you need to go to the Reports menu, select the desired report and you should find the "CSS Style" drop-down list in the Report Settings section. Please, note that in this list will only appear the custom CSS styles that you have previously added from the Settings -> Global settinggs -> Reports -> HTML Reports menu.