How to change the default language in AWR
Advanced Web Ranking is currently available in six different languages: English, French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish.
To change the default language, go to Settings -> Global settings -> Application menu and choose the desired language from the "Language" drop down list within the Regional and Language Settings section at the right.
How to customize the application appearance
You can find multiple options for customizing the AWR appearance in the Settings -> Application menu:
- User interface font size. Select the font size you need to display for the application screens. You have three displaying modes available (small, large and autodetect).
- Sidebar menu size. Select the size you need to display for the application sidebar menu.
- Show first 8 favorites on top bar. This option enables you to add quick access icons on the application top bar for your first 8 favorite tabs.
- Display tips. Enable this option if you wish tips and suggestions to be displayed throughout the application. After one tip is displayed, it is automatically removed from the list of tips you will further see. The Reset button reruns all tips, regardless of whether you saw them or not.
- Use default window decoration. Check this option to see the blue default margins of the application. To enable it, the application must be restarted.
- Use java look and feel. With this option selected, you can use the default Metal Java look and feel. To enable it, the application must be restarted.
How to resize the application window
According to your preferences and system specifications, you can adjust both the size of the UI fonts and font.
To change the font size, go to Settings menu -> Global settings -> Application and in Application Settings choose between the 3 options available Normal, Small and Smaller.
To change the size of the application simply mouse-drag the window edges.
How to change the date format in Advanced Web Ranking
You can set the date format that is used throughout the application from the Settings -> Global settings -> Application menu, the Date Format section.
How to edit columns in interactive reports
By default, in the Interactive reports some columns are not displayed.
If you want to add other columns to this report, click on the Select columns button and choose the ones that you want to be added. From here you can also remove the ones that are already displayed by unchecking them.
If you want to change the columns' disposal, just click on the one that you want to move and from the Up/Down arrows change its position in the report.
To go back to the original displayed columns, click on the Select columns button and Restore defaults.
How to show/hide rankings charts in the UI reports
For the Date Comparison view of the Website Rankings, Keyword Rankings and Search Engine Rankings interactive reports, you are able to show or hide the rankings chart from the UI. This can be accomplished through the Show/Hide Chart button at the top of the screen.
How to show continuous lines on ranking charts
If some of your project websites rank farther than the search depth set for Advanced web Ranking to gather from the search engines, it is said to be dropped.
In this case, the Rank Evolution chart will show gaps in the graph line corresponding to the updates when the website has dropped.
If you do not want to see these gaps in the chart, you must either increase the search depth for Advanced Web Ranking or, if you suspect the website's drop to be temporary, you need to go to Settings menu -> Global settings -> Application, and check the option "Show Continuous lines in the Rank Evolution chart".
How to add chart notes
Notes are meant to remind you of some actions you took in the past or to remember the ones that you wish to take in the future. They appear in the charts as vertical lines on the date they are set.
To add a new note, you have two options:
- Go to the top right corner of any chart, click on the Gear icon and press the Add Note button.
- Click the star icon at the top of the application window to access the Favorites menu, select Notes from the drop down menu and use the Add Note button. A new note will be added, that you can edit according to your preferences.
You can select the Global check box and the note will appear in the chart for any combination of keywords, search engines and websites selected in the project. Otherwise the note is visible only for the combination selected.
Notes can also have a priority such as Normal, To Do and Important:
- Normal Notes. They show up as a black vertical line in charts.
- Important Notes. When this priority is selected the notes are displayed as red vertical lines in charts.
- To Do Notes. They are displayed as blue vertical lines in chart. The difference between To Do notes and the other notes is that if you launch the application on the day the note was set, you will be presented with a dialog that will show you the contents of the note.
How to manage my created charts notes
You can easily access all the notes you've created so far by clicking on the star icon at the top of the application window to access the Favorites menu and select Notes from the drop down menu. All the existing notes will appear.
Click on each note item to change it or double click on a note to edit its message.
How to customize the charts' appearance
In Advanced Web Ranking you can set up the chart to be exactly as you need, using the options available in the Settings -> Global settings -> Application menu, the Chart Settings section:
- Interactive graph lines color intensity. Using this setting you may adjust the intensity of the colors used for graphics in interactive reports.
- Legend height in printable report. You may set the dimensions of legends in all printable reports.
- Show position slider on right side of the chart. Check this option to display the position slider on the right side of the charts in the interactive reports.
- Chart shape size. This setting allows you to adjust the points size on your graphs shown in both interactive and printable reports.
- Chart line thickness. You may also adjust the graph lines and set their thickness on a scale from 1 to 6.
Also, you can create better visualizing charts by applying Page Markers. These visual markers allow you to divide your chart into pages that will be highlighted alternatively.
To access your Page Markers settings, you need to click the Gear button at the top-right corner of each chart and select Page Markers Settings.
How to display only one line for each website on charts
You can display on charts for each website, only one line, with the best position of your website or competitors for a certain keyword, regardless of the page for which the highest ranking position is achieved.
For that, you need to go to Settings -> Global settings -> Application menu and enable the "Show only best position in charts" option from the Chart Settings section.
How to change charts time range
The charts will contain information according to the selection of websites, keywords, search engines or metrics you make and for the date selected from the top calendar.
On charts, time is represented on the horizontal axis and you are enabled to expand/restrict the chart time range using one of the six choices available:
- 7 Days
- Last month
- Last three months
- Last six months
- Last 12 Months
- All Data
On the vertical axis it is represented the ranking position or the selected metric, for which you also have available the option of adjusting the range:
- All Data
- 1 to 10
- 1 to 20
- 1 to 30
- 1 to 40
- 1 to 50
- 1 to 60
- 1 to 70
- 1 to 80
- 1 to 90
- 1 to 100
How to change the database location
Advanced Web Ranking can store the projects locally or remotely. Locally, Advanced Web Ranking uses a folder created on the local machine. In the remote mode, Advanced Web Ranking connects to an Advanced Web Ranking Server located on another machine.
To change the destination folder, go to Settings -> Global settings -> Application menu and browse to the desired location:
- My Computer. This option allows you to change the location of the folder where Advanced Web Ranking keeps its data locally. When you press the OK button, Advanced Web Ranking will use the newly selected folder as the data folder.
- Remote Computer. This option allows you to change the remote connection server address and port.
How to configure my email in Advanced Web Ranking in order to send reports via email
To setup your email in Advanced Web Ranking, go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Email/FTP -> Email menu and make the required adjustments:
- Sender email-Enter your email address here.
- SMTP Server-Enter your SMTP server, either using its name or its IP address.
- SMTP Port -Enter the SMTP port. The default value is 25.
- Use SMTP Authentication-If your SMTP server requires authentication, you have to enter your user name and password. You should ask your network administrator if you do not know them.
- Use secure connection-If your SMTP server requires a secure connection, you have the option to use either TLS or SSL. This option is especially useful if you use SMTP accounts like GMail which use secure connections.
If you wish to use different email accounts for different projects, you will need to adjust the SMTP settings.
How to configure SMTP servers
The SMTP settings can be used to define an email account for each project. This will enable you to send reports via email, from different email accounts for different projects.
You can adjust these settings from the Settings -> Project settings -> SMTP Settings menu. Make sure to disable the "Inherit from global preferences" option and setup your email, following the instructions to configure global email.
When you finish configuring the email account use the Test Email button to see if the settings are correct.
How to manage my email Address Book in AWR
The Advanced Web Ranking Address Book is the place where you can store all the names and email addresses of the people you want to send reports to. You can use the contacts you enter here when specifying the destination of a report.
To access and manage your address book, you need to go to Settings -> Global settings -> Email/FTP -> Address Book. Here you can Add, Remove, Modify your email contacts or Import/Export them from/to a .csv file on your computer.
How to configure my FTP server
You can access the FTP Profile manager from the Settings menu, by selecting Global settings -> Email/FTP -> FTP Profiles. Here you can add, remove, modify or test the connection of the FTP servers.
To Add a profile press the Add button. The "Add FTP profile" dialog will appear and you can enter the Name of the profile, the FTP Server and Port, the User, the Password, the Remote folder and the Connection mode. If your machine connects to the Internet through a proxy server, you are allowed to enter the proxy settings in the same dialog, by enabling the "Use a Proxy Server" option.
You can both configure an FTP server (File Transfer Protocol) or an SFTP server (SSH File Transfer Protocol) from the Add FTP Profile window.
Also, you can adjust a set of parameters for your FTP connection from Settings -> Global settings -> Email/FTP -> FTP Settings menu:
- Number of times to retry if FTP server busy. If the FTP server is busy try to reconnect for the specified number of times. The FTP connection timeout will be respected on each retry.
- Delay between retries (seconds). Wait for the specified number of seconds before retrying on a busy server. This is useful to prevent hammering the FTP server.
- FTP connection timeout. Consider the connection to a FTP server has timed out after the specified number of seconds.
- FTP connection read timeout. Consider the connection to a FTP server has timed out after not being able to read from the connected FTP server for the specified number of seconds.
How to configure AWR to use proxy servers
To define one or more proxy servers that will be used by Advanced Web Ranking when retrieving results from the search engines, go to the Settings -> Global settings -> Performance -> Proxy Settings menu.
Here you will be able to:
- Add Proxy - Shows the new proxy settings dialog where you can add a new proxy server to the application
- Add Category - Allows you to select and group the proxies from your list into categories
- Import proxy servers - You can import a list of proxy servers into the application from a text file saved on your computer, with the requirement that it follows a certain structure
- Type - You can just type in the addresses of the proxy servers you wish to use, one per line
- Edit - Shows the edit proxy server dialog where you can change the settings of the currently selected proxy server
- Remove - Removes the selected proxy server from the application
- Export - This option allows you to export the list of proxy servers from Advanced Web Ranking into a text file saved on your hard drive at a specified location
- Test - Before using your proxies, Advanced Web Ranking allows you to test them to see their availability
- Trusted Proxies - This will open a dialog with details about Trusted Proxies servers integration with Advanced Web Ranking. From here you will be able to start automatically a proxy servers free trial. For 7 days, you can use 5 US proxies from Trusted Proxies to speed up your keyword rankings updates by 5 times.
When the free trial ends, proxy servers for Advanced Web Ranking are purchased separately.
Once proxy servers are made available in the application, you have two options to choose from in assigning them, and your direct connection, the actions you want to be performed:
- Ranking - Proxy servers and / or Direct connection that have the Ranking check box selected will be used by the application, during your projects updates, to retrieve ranking data. If one of the proxies added is Big -G Stealth Extractor, then this connection will be used only to query the Google search engine. Other proxies and the direct connection that have the Rankings option selected can query any search engine added in your project, to retrieve rankings.
- Others - Proxy server / or Direct connection that has the Others radio button selected will be used by the application, during your projects updates, to retrieve Page Rank information, analytics and links data, and also to connect to the Advanced Web Ranking website for new search engine updates.
One proxy server or direct connection can have both the Ranking and Others options selected. In this case, the connection in question will retrieve both rankings and other types of information.
The Big -G Stealth Extractor can be used only to gather ranking data from the Google search engines. The Others option is not enabled for this connection.
The Ranking check box is available only in the Enterprise edition, which allows multiple proxies being used to query search engines at the same time. In the Professional and Standard editions, the Ranking option is implemented as a radio button, and only one proxy or the direct connection can be used per project update.