Add a search engine to an existing project
Once you create a new project, the you can stick to the default search engine selection - Google, Yahoo, and Bing, but you can add more at any time.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings -> project name settings -> Search engines menu
- Click on Add search engines button in the top right corner of the screen
- Customize the list as needed
- Click Add search engine to complete the process.
The search engine will be immediately added to your project, and the rankings will be gathered the next time your project is updated.
You can choose from over 3000 regional and local search engines.
Remove a search engine from a project
To stop tracking rankings for one of the search engines added to your project, you can remove it at any time.
- Go to Settings -> project name settings -> Search engines
- Select the search engine you wish to remove
- Using the Manage Search Engines button, choose Delete selected and confirm removal.
When a search engine is removed, all its associated data will also be deleted from your project. Adding the same search engine back will not restore the historical rankings.
The application UI does not allow editing a search engine preferences from user end. If you need to change the types of results to be tracked, for example, you can only remove it from your project. Also, you cannot edit a search engine name.
Define a custom location search engine
AWR Cloud allows you to narrow the rank tracking process down to a specific city or region, using the Google location search engine.
To add this type of search engine, follow the simple steps below:
- Open the Settings -> project name settings -> Search Engines section of your project;
- Click on Add search engines button and choose the country you want to retrieve results from from the Country grid;
- Select Google and then the language of the search engine interface;
- In the Location drop down, choose the "custom" option, and enter the city name or the zip code you are interested in to be validated;
- Click on the Add search engine button to finish the process.
Here is a short video tutorial exemplifying the whole process.
Track mobile search results
To track only the mobile SERPs, you need to choose this type of results when defining your AWR Cloud search engine, using the 'Advanced settings' button in the search engine wizard.
Find out more about adding a new search engine from this short video
Search filters: 'Search in country', 'Search in language', 'Safe search'
To emulate the Google search in browser, you can filter results considering the following attributes:
- Search in country: retrieves results only from pages in that specific country
- Search in language: shows results filtered by content in that specific language
- Safe search: prevents adult content from appearing in your search results
We don't recommend to enable any of these filters unless you need specific results. Most users are performing searches using the default settings. By keeping them disabled, you will prevent the truncation of the regular SERP you see in your browser.
Track only Google Places listings
To only track the Google snack-pack listings from a regular SERP, add a search engine with these preferences, by selecting a custom location first and then, choose Places from the Search Type drop-down.
This type of results is only available when a custom location search engine option is selected.
Track different types of search results
SERPs contain organic results, local listings, videos, news etc. and with AWR Cloud you choose which types of results to check.
In the search engine wizard, click on the Search Type drop-down, and select which type of search results you need to track - Organic, Organic and Places, Universal (considers all SERPs listings, except ads), AdWords (tracks sponsored results from Google), Images, Video, News, Mobile, Maps, News.
How many search engines can I monitor?
You can track rankings on as many search engines as you need, according to the keyword units available in your monthly subscription.
A keyword unit = 1 keyword checked one time on 1 search engine unit with a search depth of 5 pages.
By default each website is searched on 3 distinct search engines (Google, Yahoo and Bing), which account for 1 search engine unit; any additional search engine increases the number of search engine units by 1.
How to add, remove or switch a search engine in the Search Engine Comparison view
You can choose which search engines to be displayed side-by-side in your comparison ranking view by following these steps:
- Navigate to the Rankings -> Search engine comparison view of a project.
- Choose Extended view from the top menu
- Click on the small Settings icon next to a search engine name.
- Select one of the options available:
- Remove the search engine from the ranking view;
- Replace the selected search engine with another one from the list;
- Add the search engine to the ranking view.
Removing a search engine from the Search engine comparison view does not remove it from the project, or from the printable reports you can generate from this project.