When I first started as a seo, my colleagues were telling me how awesome this job is and how fast I will be falling in love with it.
And they where right about both things.
I did fell quickly in love with my job and I can honestly say, it is the best job in the world!
All of you seos out there, probably know what I am talking about!
You know that great feeling of a new job that you just can’t wait to start?
I find myself excited as a puppy waiting for the ball to be thrown away every time I start
I love the challenge of a new project, I love brainstorming to find the most efficient way to clear the task and to prove myself it was an easy job.
Don’t you just love it?
However, there are times when the fun stops.
There are those times when you find yourself overwhelmed by that enormous daily routine you must accomplish in order to properly manage all your clients. And not only that it takes all of your time but it is also less valuable. All it does is to accomplish a recurring update for your clients.
But what about researching or finding new opportunities? What about learning new stuff or just having the leisure for being creative?
Do you still have the time or the energy to do that too?
But, where did the fun go?
These situations call for severe measures!
What you should to do is to make use of other peoples work! There are thousands of people
working every day to develop seo software for people just like you. They work hard so you will have to work less. Why not take advantage of that?
Therefore, take the time and find for yourself THE BEST tools ever to work with. I should better say, invest some time in finding some useful tools for yourself. There are hundreds of tools available for you to choose from. All you have to do is decide what you need and look for it. They will help you work faster!
Here is my advice:
• Make a plan. Analyze your daily routine and see how you spend most of your time. Those right there are the tasks you need to make automatic. It will make a great difference!
• See what types of work you do for each client and make sure you have efficient tools for each of them.
By grouping the tasks you do daily, you can identify what kind of tools you need.
• Don’t try to find one great device that could do all your work in a second! This might not be possible. But do try to find the best tools among their kind. This way your work will be outstanding, your clients will be happy and you will have more free time!
• Although it’s handy to use simpler tools you shouldn’t settle for these either. The time saved using one of them will be consumed switching the data back and forth between these tools and you will gain nothing in the end. Try instead to look for those also able to handle more complex tasks.
• Don’t be lazy and put effort into building a system of tools that work FOR YOU. Thinking things ahead will save you from further headache. Thus the better you organize your work now, the less effort you will have to make later on.
• And don’t be stingy about it. Not always, but most of the time quality comes with a high price. If a tool does the job for you and gives you peace of mind, then these are well spent money. Remember the saying “You have to spend money to make money”!
Think of it as a good friend helping you to do your job!
If you trust it, you can leave the tedious work to him and you can focus more on the fun stuff. You can build up your business, your knowledge and reputation.
Did it work? Are you back to having fun yet?
Photo credit: The Welsh Poppy