Re: Version 8

We will never force you to step over on new user interface. This is your choice. But, we cannot implement the new features in two applications. We will always support AWR 7.5, with search engine updates and bug fixes.

I have asked many times here, but I never received an answer: please give me one example of a task you tried to do in new user interface and you didn't find out how. We need to know why you consider it unfriendly.

I'm looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,

Robert

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/awebranking
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/advancedwebranking

Posted 3 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matthew wrote:

I did NOT get any email. I saw it posted on Facebook. And you did not answer my questions. If i choice NOT to upgrade will AWR still be pushing out updates to v7.5? Also, could i backup the database before updating just in case i find v8.5 interface as user unfriendly as v8.0 is?

Sorry, I missed your question.

After the new version was available, we sent an email to all our customers, that purchase an Advanced Web Ranking license. If you didn't receive it, maybe you use a different email address that the one used when you purchased the license. If this is the case, please send me your license key by email at awrsupport@advancedwebranking.com and tell me the email address you use now and do the changes in our customers database.

So, if you don't want to install the latest version, you can always use AWR 7.5 without any problems. You will get search engine updates and bug fixes, as long as you have a valid maintenance plan.

If you already installed the latest version, don't worry about your projects. Our application automatically creates backups before opening any project that was not opened yet.

The AWR 8.5 use interface is the same as AWR 8.0 and 8.0, but it just has some new menus: Analytics and Links.

Please answer me to the same question: give me one example of a task you tried to do in new user interface and you didn't find out how.

I'm looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,

Robert

Posted 3 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think you are missing what we are trying to say, Robert. It has nothing to do with not being able to do a task in the old that we can not do in the new. It is the ease of use. 8.0/8.5 can have all the bells and whistles known to man kind, but if it is not easy to navigate/work in then all the bells and whistles are useless. Here is one of many examples i will give you.

In v7.5 if i want to edit a projects website, keywords, search engines email..etc All i have to do is make two clicks Project_Project Settings and everything is right there for me. To get to the same places in v8.0 not everything is right there for me. It's like a scavenger hunt every time i open v8.0

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I cannot use Version 8 because I could not figure it out and I was so incredibly used to the older version. After talking to support, I learned about Version 7.5 and started using that version. The only problem is, the drop down menus when I generate reports are all blank. It is very buggy. Also, when I use the drop down on the right hand side to pull up a project, it doesn't work. It literally chooses a random project. I am finding this version VERY buggy and frustrating. I cannot use 8 and I wish the bugs would be fixed.

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It seems to me that AWR knows they screwed up.  Why would they support two versions otherwise?

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matthew wrote:

In v7.5 if i want to edit a projects website, keywords, search engines email..etc All i have to do is make two clicks Project_Project Settings and everything is right there for me. To get to the same places in v8.0 not everything is right there for me. It's like a scavenger hunt every time i open v8.0

You are not 100% right smile In the old user interface you needed 3 clicks: one on Project menu, the second on Project Settings and the third on the tab you needed (Keywords, Websites, Search Engines, Project Settings...).

In the new version you need only two clicks: one on the Project left menu and the second on the option you need to change: Websites, Keywords, Search Engines, Settings... So, this is faster than before and also, the menu name is the same, Project.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Robert

Posted 3 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

justinkates wrote:

It seems to me that AWR knows they screwed up.  Why would they support two versions otherwise?

We didn't screwed up. We need to support these two versions, because there are existing users which want to use the old user interface and we will not force them to switch to the new one. It is their choice.

Best regards,

Robert

Posted 3 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BonnieSEO wrote:

I cannot use Version 8 because I could not figure it out and I was so incredibly used to the older version.

I'm sure about this, but I'm also sure that you will get used to the new version, after a period of using the features you need and not only them. We are always here to help you better use our application, so do not hesitate to ask us any question you may have about the new user interface. We'll be glad to help.

BonnieSEO wrote:

After talking to support, I learned about Version 7.5 and started using that version. The only problem is, the drop down menus when I generate reports are all blank. It is very buggy. Also, when I use the drop down on the right hand side to pull up a project, it doesn't work. It literally chooses a random project. I am finding this version VERY buggy and frustrating. I cannot use 8 and I wish the bugs would be fixed.

The problems you told me didn't happen here, so I need more details from you, to see what happens. I'll appreciate if you can send us some screen shots with these problems, at awrsupport@advancedwebranking.com. Also, please send me an error report from this project, using the Options top-left button, Support -> Report Error menu. All these could help our developers see what the problem is and solve it asap, as usual.

Best regards,

Robert

Posted 3 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Robert wrote:
Matthew wrote:

You are not 100% right smile In the old user interface you needed 3 clicks: one on Project menu, the second on Project Settings and the third on the tab you needed (Keywords, Websites, Search Engines, Project Settings...).

In the new version you need only two clicks: one on the Project left menu and the second on the option you need to change: Websites, Keywords, Search Engines, Settings... So, this is faster than before and also, the menu name is the same, Project.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Robert

Robert, i will give you credit. You are a good soldier and will defend the new version with your last breath....lol That is why i will not go back in worth with you anymore. As long as you will still provide update/support for v7.5 i am happy!

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Advanced Web Ranking 7.5 is still supported because we are aware that the user interface is drastically changed and we want to give time to our users to accommodate themselves with the new user interface.

Also, we are still supporting AWR 7.5 because we do not want the learning curve of the new user interface to impact the day to day productivity of our user base. So, until our users got to know the new UI, we felt it was appropriate for them to still have access to the old and familiar interface.

Cristian Trohin
Advanced Web Ranking Support Team
http://www.advancedwebranking.com

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Quick Reply drops most of the post. I'll have to retype it in full.

Last edited by Mandarin (2011-09-30 12:59:06)

Posted 3 years ago

Mandarin's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

cristi wrote:

Advanced Web Ranking 7.5 is still supported because we are aware that the user interface is drastically changed and we want to give time to our users to accommodate themselves with the new user interface.

Also, we are still supporting AWR 7.5 because we do not want the learning curve of the new user interface to impact the day to day productivity of our user base. So, until our users got to know the new UI, we felt it was appropriate for them to still have access to the old and familiar interface.

Reading between the lines, when do you plan on making everyone go to the new version?

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mandarin wrote:

If you want a specific example of how this differs just look at other Window applications. They follow a format we are all used to  seeing - Menu Bar along the top - find Print command in one program and it will be in the same spot in all others.

What you have done is to try and redefine how a Windows program should work.

I gave up on 8.0 as couldn't cope with the changes. I decided to give 8.5 a try in case it was an improvement.

Unfortunately not. All projects with pdf output no longer generate a pdf - just give an error message. Fortunately I had a backup of the 7.5 data files.

Overall, dissapointed with the changes made. I'll stick with 7.5 until plan expires in a few weeks but in the absence of updates thereafter I'll need to look for an alternative.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Mandarin's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

justinkates wrote:
cristi wrote:

Reading between the lines, when do you plan on making everyone go to the new version?

We're not gonna make anyone do anything they don't want to do.  If some of our users still prefer the 7.5 version they are welcome to use it as long as they want. The only downside to using the old version is that they will not benefit from the new features we keep adding to the application. If someone is content with the feature set available in 7.5 they will be able to use it as long as they see fit.

Cristian Trohin

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mandarin wrote:
Mandarin wrote:

If you want a specific example of how this differs just look at other Window applications. They follow a format we are all used to  seeing - Menu Bar along the top - find Print command in one program and it will be in the same spot in all others.

What you have done is to try and redefine how a Windows program should work.

I gave up on 8.0 as couldn't cope with the changes. I decided to give 8.5 a try in case it was an improvement.

Unfortunately not. All projects with pdf output no longer generate a pdf - just give an error message. Fortunately I had a backup of the 7.5 data files.

Overall, dissapointed with the changes made. I'll stick with 7.5 until plan expires in a few weeks but in the absence of updates thereafter I'll need to look for an alternative.

Mike

Hello Mike,

We always welcome user feedback, be it good or bad. If our current user interface does not satisfy your needs, please give us suggestions.  Tell us what you like or don't like, and how you think it can be improved. We always take into consideration suggestions from our users when we add new features or when we redesign existing functionality. That is the exact reason why we redesigned the entire user interface.

In case version 8.5 generated an error message or something did not work as expected, please help us by sending us an error report explaining the problem so we can identify and quickly fix the issues.

Version 8.5 has a lot of new features like Google Analytics integration and SEOmoz links integration. We have added these features at the request of our users, and would like all our users to benefit from them. Please at least check this blog post by my colleague Aura which explains the benefits of the new version:

http://www.advancedwebranking.com/blog/ … b-ranking/

We will keep posting new and interesting stuff that you can do with Advanced Web Ranking in order to keep our users up to date with the new features and improvements.

Again, if you have any suggestions on how we can change Advanced Web Ranking so it would be more user friendly or more productive, please let us know here on the forum or over the email. We always welcome suggestions.

BTW, in case you still want use Advanced Web Ranking, you can still use version 7.5 if you extend your maintenance plan.

I do hope you decide to remain our customer Mike, but either way, good luck with your business efforts.

Chris

Last edited by cristi (2011-09-30 13:48:35)

Cristian Trohin

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do not understand team behind AWR.

They said "you can still use version 7.5 if you extend your maintenance plan." but they force all their customers to switch to new version indirect way:

1. "Version 8.5 has a lot of new features like Google Analytics integration and SEOmoz links integration. We have added these features at the request of our users, and would like all our users to benefit from them."
It is only for version 8.5. Not anymore for version 7.5.

2. They do not warn user through installation that by installing new version is not anymore possible to use old 7.5 version. Then you need to goes through whole procedure by uninstalling, restarting, ask support for link to version 7.5, installing.

3. If you use version 7.5 then every time by starting AWR pop-up promopt to tell you that new version is released and that it is better to install version 8.5 what is very annoying.

4. All new customers will never know that version 7.5 ever existed and that version 7.5 is  X times interface better version than version 8.5 because you will never tell him unless they read this forum.

As i said before i'm glad that you guys support old version 7.5 but it sucks that you do not wanna to improve old version 7.5 anymore. At least we deserve that you sometime release upgrade for old version. Especially if they are major upgrades.

And finally i'm guess that if you gonna to give us poll "What do you like more: version 7.5 or version 8.5" that majority of your customers should say old version. Of course you need to let of your customers that version 7.5 exist and that it is completely different version than 8.5

Last edited by Make (2011-10-01 18:07:37)

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

cristi wrote:

Again, if you have any suggestions on how we can change Advanced Web Ranking so it would be more user friendly or more productive, please let us know here on the forum or over the email. We always welcome suggestions.

Chris

It is easy Chris. You need simple to release version 8.x with interface of version 7.x
It can not be easier that it is.

Last edited by Make (2011-10-06 14:14:26)

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Make wrote:

It is easy cristi. You need simple to release version 8.x with interface of version 7.x

I guess that sums it up better than any other post.

Posted 3 years ago

Mandarin's Website

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Mandarin wrote:
Make wrote:

It is easy cristi. You need simple to release version 8.x with interface of version 7.x

I guess that sums it up better than any other post.

TRUTH.  BINGO.  AMEN.  WORD. BOOMSHAKALAKAH.  HOO-AH.  TOUCHDOWN.  WINNERWINNERCHICKENDINNER.

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd like to offer Caphyon some support here...

As an AWR 7.5 user of some years, I'd always found the interface to be confusing. v8 is much easier to find youy way around and, in my opinion, more intuitive. And now we have 8.5 with integrated GA - a masterstroke!

Carry on the good work Robert & Team.

Posted 3 years ago

Thumbs up −1 Thumbs down

I don't mind the new interface, but I just updated to 8.6 and now can't connect to remote database...

Posted 2 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

gyitsakalakis wrote:

I don't mind the new interface, but I just updated to 8.6 and now can't connect to remote database...

In your error report I have found messages like this one:

INFO: Cannot connect to localhost:7777
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

This message shows up when the AWR Server service is not started or if you didn't install the AWR Server side too, when you installed the latest application version.

Let me know how it goes.

Best  regards,

Robert

Posted 2 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

After a month of confusion I started looking to see if I'm the only one.  After reading this long thread I see I'm not as dumb as I was starting to feel.  I "upgraded" from 7.5 a few months after my update subscription ran out because it could no longer work properly with Google and Yahoo.  I went to 8.5.  I can't figure out where anything is.  It no longer makes sense.  The old interface was clunky, crude and somewhat cheesey looking.  I wouldn't say it was intuitive, but at least it sort-of made sense.  8.5 does not.  When I first installed it and saw the new interface I thought this was going to be good.  But its not.  After a month I still have to keep hunting for things that used to be so obvious.  And the keyword rank chart--on those good days when I am able to find it--no longer makes sense.  I can't click on a line or a point and see the keyword and its rank.  Now all I can see in a tooltip is all the keyword rankings on a given day.  I know I'm missing something, but I don't know what, or even what to ask.

I want to go back to 7.5, but I don't know if Google and Yahoo will work again now that I've bought more time.  Also, I don't know if the data is backward compatible or if I'll lose the past month's worth of data and have to revert to an old backup.  Can anyone answer these questions?  I don't want to waste the time trying to figure out how to go back if it's not possible.  If I have to lose last month's data, I'll probably just take this opportunity to find another product.  Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks,
Johnny

Last edited by johnny (2011-12-17 23:50:08)

Posted 2 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hi Johnny,

johnny wrote:

I can't figure out where anything is.  It no longer makes sense.

I'm sure that you had the same "problem" when you opened first time Advanced Web Ranking, in the old interface. But, once you played a while with it, you found all the options you needed. The application user interface was changed, just because we had too many emails from new users, which told us exactly what you said, too complicated and not intuitive at all. And this happened, because we have added many features requested by you, our users, after the application was implemented. And we tried to find the best place for these new features. The result was a "too complicated and non-intuitive" application. You get used with it, but the new used didn't.

As I said to others here, I'm sure that once you will play a while with it, you will find the feature you need and you will see that the new UI is more intuitive than the old one.

For cases when you have problems, we have solutions:

1. Some video tutorials (it's true they are for new users, but they may help you see the user interface):

http://www.advancedwebranking.com/video … oject.html

2. Our online user guide is based on the new user interface, so if you cannot find something, just search there and you will find the answer fast:

http://www.advancedwebranking.com/user- … index.html

3. If these two cannot help, we are always here to help you find the feature you cannot find, or solve a problem. We always did this and we will always do, because customer satisfaction is our number one priority. You have multiple options to contact us, so you don't have to wait so long when you have problems:

http://www.advancedwebranking.com/contact.html

johnny wrote:

And the keyword rank chart--on those good days when I am able to find it--no longer makes sense.  I can't click on a line or a point and see the keyword and its rank.  Now all I can see in a tooltip is all the keyword rankings on a given day.  I know I'm missing something, but I don't know what, or even what to ask.

The interactive reports, the ones that allow you see the results in the application user interface, can be used from the Rankings left menu. To see the chart of the Keyword Rankings report, you just need to go to the Rankings menu, select Keyword Rankings report type from the top drop-down list and the Evolution in Time view type, from the next drop-down list. I'm sure that this is not difficult to be found, once you will use it a few times.

To see the results on the chart, just put the mouse over a point on the chart, for a specific date and you will see the details for all the keywords that were updated, their rankings and the date (at the bottom side of the chart). If you will have many keywords, you will not be able to click on one keyword point in the chart, so we decided to put all the keywords in one tooltip.

You can see more details about this report, on the online user guide, here:

http://www.advancedwebranking.com/user- … port-chart

johnny wrote:

I want to go back to 7.5, but I don't know if Google and Yahoo will work again now that I've bought more time.  Also, I don't know if the data is backward compatible or if I'll lose the past month's worth of data and have to revert to an old backup.  Can anyone answer these questions?  I don't want to waste the time trying to figure out how to go back if it's not possible.  If I have to lose last month's data, I'll probably just take this opportunity to find another product.  Can anyone recommend one?

Advanced Web Ranking 7.5 will not contain the new features, but it will always have search engine updates and bug fixes. So, if you consider that the new UI is too difficult, but I'm sure it is not like that smile , you can go back to the old use interface. Be sure this is what you need and I'll tell you the steps you need to follow.

You need to know, that all the projects that were opened in the latest application version will not have the updates you did in this version, because the database version is different than the 7.5 one.

Let me know if this answered your questions and if you need additional information.

Best regards,

Robert

Posted 2 years ago

Robert's Website

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Robert wrote:

Advanced Web Ranking 7.5 ...will always have search engine updates and bug fixes.

Best regards,

Robert

Question:

Will those bug fixes for version 7.5 include updating AWR's ability to discern between Google Places profiles & organic results?

...as outlined in the forum here.

Posted 2 years ago

Thumbs up Thumbs down